Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(August 1995)

Subject: Unauthorized copying of posts
From: "Monee C. Kidd" <mkidd @ apk . net>
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 1995 22:02:06 -0400 (EDT)
To: list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM

I have a problem of a different sort. I maintain a read only list where I
post a recipe archive once a month. These recipes are gathered from a
couple of Usenet newsgroups, the main one being rec.food.chocolate. I
have been doing this since January, and so far, I have compiled over 350
recipes. No small task...

A bout a week or so ago, I noticed in r.f.choc, someone has begun a new
web site pertaining to chocolate. The first thing I saw when I went there
was references to my list,  with all my words lifted verbatim from my
list info post. Which I didn't mind so much. Until I found a whole
section of this site is dedicated to my recipes. The site owner, tho he
did credit me for putting together the archives,  is taking all my work
and dumping it onto his pages, without having bothered to tell me, let
alone ask my permission.

My question is this: I need to write this person a note, if for no other
reason than to tell him to remove the link to send mail to my list -
since it's a moderated list I'm getting spammed with bounced messages
now. But I want to say something also about my displeasure with him using
my work without asking permission. I know, since the posts were from
Usenet to begin with, I don't own a copywrite on the material or
anything, but he's taken my formatting, and my hard work, and I don't
appreciate that.

Does anyone out there have experience with copies of their list digests
or other such information from their lists showing up in other places on
the net that could give me some advice here?

--
 If you always do what you always have,                 ~*~
you'll always get what you've always had.           ~*~*~*~*~*~

Follow-Ups:
Indexed By Date Previous: Re: Preventing Mail Loops, Other