Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(November 1995)

Subject: Re: Are You Preapred?
From: Jason and Jill <jgreshes @ netaxs . com>
Date: Sat, 11 Nov 1995 11:55:52 -0500 (EST)
To: JaDe <jadestar @ netcom . com>
Cc: list-managers-digest @ GreatCircle . COM, majordomo-users @ GreatCircle . COM

> 	I've already bounced copies two of these to my postmaster,
> 	and the postmaster at Primenet.  I've also called the
> 	InterNIC administrative contact at Primenet (which is where
> 	this appears to be coming from).
>
> 	So, just this once, could we skip the secondary and tertiary
> 	waves of "I hate spammers" posts?  (I realize that this won't
> 	be the last we hear about this -- but let's please keep the
> 	rest off the mailing lists themselves).

Sorry, one thing to add:

Anyone else think its about time the lists command was chucked
altogether?  It doesn't serve much of a purpose--all you get is a list of
the listnames at a certain host, few listowners put in the one-line info
about the purpose of the list, so what good is the command to anyone
besides spammers putting together their distribution list.

All of my lists at eskimo.com were spammed tonight, and it was
exceedingly obvious that it was done using the output of a lists command
sent to the majordomo.

In the six hours since the spam hit, I've seen discussion on everyone of
the hit lists about restricting posting to list members.  This is a
solution without a solution--if every lists does it, spammers will simply
send out a burst of sub messages before their spams, and they'll send out
a ton of unsubs afterwards.  I also don't see the use of sending back a
ton of replies to a spammer.  People almost never change the subject of
their reply, and procmail can be sent to quietly dump any incomming mail
with that subject to /dev/null.  So a spammer can get in a gigabyte of
hate mail, core files, uudecoded gifs of Orson Well's butt, etc., and
with three simple lines in their .procmailrc set things so they never see
a single reply.

Without the lists commands, spammers will stuck trying to build
distributions lists from meta-lists and the like, a much more daunting
process than getting a nice, perfectly arranged, column of address to
mail to.

					Jason