Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(November 1995)

Subject: Re: Are You Preapred?
From: Dave Del Torto <ddt @ lsd . com>
Date: Sat, 11 Nov 1995 17:18:05 -0800
To: Jason and Jill <jgreshes @ netaxs . com>
Cc: JaDe <jadestar @ netcom . com>, list-managers-digest @ GreatCircle . COM, majordomo-users @ GreatCircle . COM

At 8:55 am 11/11/95, Jason and Jill wrote:

>People almost never change the subject of
>their reply, and procmail can be sent to quietly dump any incomming mail
>with that subject to /dev/null.  So a spammer can get in a gigabyte of
>hate mail, core files, uudecoded gifs of Orson Well's butt, etc., and
>with three simple lines in their .procmailrc set things so they never see
>a single reply.

An excellent point: always change the subject line a bit if you complain.

>Without the lists commands, spammers will stuck trying to build
>distributions lists from meta-lists and the like, a much more daunting
>process than getting a nice, perfectly arranged, column of address to
>mail to.

Another excellent point: use the technology to make it as hard to spam as
possible. Reminds me of the double-edged swords the government uses to
restrict crypto and control explosive materials. This leads to much more
powerful crypto (good) or more dangerously simple and ubiquitous explosives
(not so good), but it also lets a monitoring agency (hopefully a
responsible one, but I s'pose they all become corrupt) pick up on who rents
the "how to build your own homemade atomic bomb" videos down at Blockbuster
and suspend their rental card indefinitely if they actually try to build
one and detonate it.

Indexed By Date Previous: Terra Firma (was: Re: Are You Pissed?)