Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(December 1995)

Subject: Re: "Phantom" Subscribers
From: alancz @ ix . netcom . com (Alan Czarnek)
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 1995 19:06:19 -0800
To: list-managers @ greatcircle . com

You wrote:

>least 3 or 4 times, each time using a different AOL screen-name.  I
have
>changed the list to a closed-list, only allowing posts from members.
>
>The posts from this person have resulted in a prolonged flame war with
some
>casualties (un-subs) along the way.  The nature of the list is to give
>emotional support to members.  Therefore, this problem has caused some
>significant harm to some of our members.  I recently implemented a
policy of
>manually subbing new members, requiring some basic information
including
>name, phone number, etc.  Some of the members (either brand new ones
or
>those who are changing ISP's) object to my requiring this information
as an
>invasion of their privacy.  Naturally, this is causing new problems
for our
>list.
>
>Thanks,
>Jack
------------------
Hi Jack,

I am also involved with running a mutual support list.  We have seven
volunteers on a screening committee who are assigned to do individual
email interviews with potential members before the new person is
allowed to join the list.  Also the new member has to submit a 100 word
personal biography to the list.

The list is absolutely closed to anyone who is not willing to do this.
Period.   On the other hand we do not require name/address/phone.
Only the seven screening members have the code word needed to add a new
member.  No one can subscribe themselves and all non-member posts are
rejected.  This has worked pretty well for us, and with the
subscription screening spread among seven people, it is not an undue
burden. (It would be very hard for one person to handle it all,
though.)

Hope this gives you some useful ideas,

Alan Czarnek

Indexed By Date Previous: "Phantom" Subscribers