Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(December 1995)

Subject: Re: "Phantom" Subscribers
From: Mitch Collinsworth <mkc @ graphics . cornell . edu>
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 95 12:59:04 -0500
To: list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM

>I suppose that I could out-of-hand reject subscriptions from AOL'ers, but
>that would not be a fair thing to do.

Why not?  Any provider who allows its users to run unchecked pissing in
other peoples' swimming pools deserves to be blacklisted from those
pools.  Your list belongs to you and your members, not to AOL or anyone
else.

If other members of your list on AOL are unhappy with this solution and
want badly enough to stay on your list they will find a responsible
service provider to get an account from.  If the problem becomes
widespread and AOL eventually loses enough accounts over this, something
will eventually change.

-Mitch