Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(December 1995)

Subject: Re: Confirmation of reading:" messages - PEGASUS?
From: Rik Harris <Rik . Harris @ fulcrum . com . au>
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 1995 16:34:02 +1100
To: list-managers @ greatcircle . com

Thu, 21 Dec 1995 GMT, "Fred H Olson WB0YQM" wrote:

> I have a small list that lately has gotten a few messages of the form:
>
> >Confirmation of reading: your message -
> >
> >    Date:    19 Dec 95 14:59
> >    To:      nbhd-tc@freenet.msp.mn.us
> >    Subject: rtk.net
> >
> >Was read at 23:46, 19 Dec 95.
> >

> These seem to be generated by the PEGASUS mailer,
> maybe in response to a request for confirmation
> maybe only in response to a request for confirmation from another
> PEGUSUS generated message.  I really dont know the details of this
> mechanism.

Yep.

> The list with the problem runs under majordomo.  Curiously my big list
> under Listproc has not had this problem.
>
> Has anyone found a general solution to keeping the list cluttered
> with these (short of filtering messages that start with
> "Confirmation of Reading" )

I have modified several MLMs to solve this problem at one time or
another.  Basically, you want to remove the headers 'X-Pmrqc' and
'X-Confirm-Reading-To' (not sure on the capitalisation, I kill all
capitalisations) from the messages going to the list.  That way,
Pegasus won't try to respond to a request for confirmation of
reading.

Under Majordomo, I changed the 'resend' program around line 194 to add
the following lines to the "list of headers to skip":

                || /^x-pmrqc:/i
                || /^x-confirm-reading-to:/i

This problem is not specific to majordomo, but other MLMs (perhaps
listproc) may solve the problem as shipped.

rik.
--
The Fulcrum Consulting Group       (note phone number change)          o
Rik Harris - rik.harris@fulcrum.com.au   +61 3 9621-2100 (BH)       /\