Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(December 1995)

Subject: Re: AOL mail reader
From: Jim Osborn <jimo @ eskimo . com>
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 1995 21:56:24 -0800 (PST)
To: list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM

srb@cuci.nl (Stephen R. van den Berg) writes:
>amys@iquest.net <amys@iquest.net> wrote:
>>Now since we've moved the list to NYX,  AOL people can't do a private
>>reply and  the list address shows up as a CC when doing a "reply to all".
>><Tiffany> shows up everywhere.
>
>This is the first time I heard complaints about AOL people not being
>able to distinguish between a regular and a group reply.  Does their
>mailreader interface not support this distinction?

My list has a lot of AOL people, and most of them seem completely
incapable of replying to anything but the Reply-To: field, which
for my list points to the list.  No amount of cajoling seems to
get across the idea of exchanging private messages directly to the
poster, nor to quote messages with anything but "You wrote:..."
I've resigned myself to this character of AOL subscribers.

The interface must either be extrememly awkward or AOL must attract
a set of people who don't care how they present themselves to the world.

Is anyone familiar enough with AOL to give me some explicit directions
I could add to my info file specifically to help these poor folks?

jimo@eskimo.com

Indexed By Date Previous: Re: Confirmation of reading:" messages - PEGASUS?