Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(December 1995)

Subject: Re: E-mail to HTML
From: Peter Bowyer <peter @ insite . co . uk>
Date: Wed, 27 Dec 1995 10:52:43 -0000
To: "list-managers @ greatcircle . com" <list-managers @ greatcircle . com>

selene@niagara.com (Rowan Shirkie) wrote:

>Does anyone have any experience with the E-mail to HTML software that they
> could share?

[snip]

> I have seen Hypermail. Does any one have experience with it? Or any other
> converter?

I'm using Hypermail under Linux on the end of some Majordomo lists. I've
seen other comments that it doesn't scale very well, and I'm beginning to
agree. It's taking longer and longer and comsuming more and more resources
to archive a single message 'live'; running it in batch mode under cron
might help but IMHO would only put off the evil day when it won't cope any
longer.

I'd be glad of any information about alternatives. I, too, am keen to offer
new subscribers the ability to review past list activity in a thread-sorted
manner - this can help them to assimilate the 'culture' of the list more
quickly.

Putting up a WAIS-searchable index of list archives is also useful, but
serves a different purpose.

Peter

---
Peter Bowyer - InSite Computer Technology Ltd
Reading, UK
peter@insite.co.uk

Indexed By Date Previous: Re: Remote maintenance of SmartList lists