Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(December 1995)

Subject: Re: AOL & internet mail lists
From: PMDAtropos @ aol . com
Date: Fri, 29 Dec 1995 21:27:00 -0500
To: tan @ pobox . com, List-Managers @ greatcircle . com

In a message dated 95-12-28 15:46:25 EST, tan@pobox.com (T.A. Newman) writes:

>Does AOL ever archive internet mail lists? I have a lot of AOL subscribers
>on my list - usnonprofit-l@rain.org. They have to log on to AOL to read
>their mail. It wouldn't be much more trouble for them to go to wherever you
>keep your internal asynchronous discussion groups and see if there are any
>new messages on an AOL mirror of usnonprofit-l. (In the nonprofit area on
>AOL?)

If I'm reading you right, we do -sort of- what you're talking about -- we can
provide local USENET echoes of mailing lists, similar to the bit.listserv
USENET hierarchy. The software kludge we use is particularly suited for
LISTSERV and Majordomo lists. All of the lists I run for public consumption
are echoed in this fashion, and I haven't had any problems since we started.

>It would be great if they could post to my list from within the AOL mirror
>of my list, as well.

This is certainly doable. If your lists are configured to only permit posting
by subscribers, that will work as well.

>It would save me a lot of work. And it would decrease the traffic on the
>internet.

If you'd like to pursue this further, please send me mail off-list and we can
discuss it further.

--
__ David B. O'Donnell (atropos@aol.net, PMDAtropos@aol.com, Atropos@gnn.com)
\/ AOL Internet Feedback/Response/Information Team Manager, LISTSERV Manager

Indexed By Date Previous: Digest Reader