Subject: Re: correction...
From: meo @ schoneal . com (Miles O'Neal)
Date: Sun, 3 Mar 1996 23:04:49 -0600 (CST)
To: jgreshes @ netaxs . com (Learn to suffer what you hate)
Cc: list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM

"Learn to suffer what you hate" said...

|Now does anyone have a nice sed script or whatever I can pass these names
|through to generate the unsub message/password majordomo command I need
|to unsub all these ids?  Like a nice little here's the names, here's the
|file with list/password, and away we go?  (no access to the subscriber
|lists on my system)

In vi (my mail editor) I would go to the top of the 21 lines
and type:

:s.,.+20s/^/approve PASSWORD unsubscribe LIST /

and that would be that.  A sed script would use the
same thing w/o the ":" and range, as in

sed -e 's/^/approve PASSWORD unsubscribe LIST /' < in-file > out-file

|For a few weeks I closed the lists to outside posting and closed
|subscriptions, and for my troubles got to come home every night to
|messages from people sending their 14th post in a row from a different
|account than they were subbed from, sub requests followed by multiple
|emails from those people asking every hour on the hour if they had been
|added to the list yet, etc. etc. etc.

Unless you get a lot of real subscriptions, just close the subscriptions.
Spams are usually pretty obvious.  Then, just add the subscribers as they
come in.  Closing the posting is a pain.  I ultimately expect to have to
do that, in which case I will set up the list of posters to be basicly the
list of subscribers.  Majordomo has an option that lets you allow someone
from a domain as opposed to a system in a domain.  I haven't tried it, but
that's what I plan to use.

Of course, my list is fairly constant in terms of members.  A list with
high sub volume could still be a pain, and you would have to let people
know that they would have to wait a day or so.

Personally, I'd be willing to sign on an action against schmoes
like this - from a nuisance complaint (in a case like this) to
a class action suit for real money (for a really obnoxious
spamming like Castor Oil & Smeagol).

I think a few well-publicized things like that would cut down
on this garbage a lot.

-Miles

Indexed By Date Previous: Re: correction...