Subject: where to send web errors?
From: "Leonard H. Tower Jr." <tower @ gnu . ai . mit . edu>
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 1996 15:18:27 -0500
To: fitz @ sware . com
Cc: list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM
Home: 36 Porter Street, Somerville, MA 02143, USA +1-617-623-7739

   From: Pat Fitzgerald <>
   Date: Tue, 12 Mar 96 12:19:51 EST

   I'm the author of the MailServ (
   web interface.  I recently stopped using an "Errors-to" header, and
   now use sendmail to set the envelope return address.  My question is:
   where should I send the error messages?

   I currently send the error messages to a built-in address (my own
   address) or to an "errors" address that can be specified as a hidden
   variable in the form.

   However, ListProcessor v6.0 uses the envelope return address as the
   subscription address.  So when a user tried to subscribe to a
   ListProcessor list, it subscribed me instead.

Handle the problems it casues manually until they fix it.

   I could instead set the envelope return address to the
   subscriber's address, but what would happen if the user mistyped his

   Any opinions as to what I should do?

   p.s. I know that ListProc 6.0 has a patch to use the "From:" header
   instead, but that is not always under my control.
      ________    Patrick Fitzgerald     Hewlett-Packard Company
     / _____  )    Internet and System Security Lab
    / ___) / /__  (404) 315-9703x181
   (_/  it(_____) (404) 315-6407 (fax)

best -len

Indexed By Date Previous: Microsoft Exchange mail to list server addresses.