Subject: Re: Email spammer sues AOL
From: Eric Thomas <ERIC @ VM . SE . LSOFT . COM>
Date: Wed, 3 Apr 1996 04:58:12 +0200
To: List-Managers @ GreatCircle . COM

What  I don't  understand  with this  lawsuit is  what  exactly is  being
alleged, in concrete technical terms. Somehow I fail to see how AOL could
update the  return address of messages  sent by Cyber Promo  unless Cyber
Promo was  posting them from AOL,  in which case they  should have signed
the TOS agreement and their account  would have been cut off without much
room for  a lawsuit.  So I  have to  assume that  these bounces  were for
recipients *at* AOL that were out of disk space or the like? But then, in
this case  the messages would normally  have bounced back to  Cyber Promo
and crashed *their* machine.

I think it says  a lot when a spammer takes an ISP  to court and the only
descriptions you can find are in lawyerese with all the important details
removed. It looks like the goal is  to set a legal precedent in favour of
spamming, and the less factual information there is, the more likely this
is to happen.

  Eric

Indexed By Date Previous: Re: Email spammer sues AOL