Subject: Re: Majordomo vs. SmartList
From: Jenkintown is very boring <jgreshes @ netaxs . com>
Date: Sun, 7 Apr 1996 10:47:58 -0400 (EDT)
Cc: list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM, SmartList @ Informatik . RWTH-Aachen . DE

> It has also been told that SmartList only keeps on copy of itself in
> memory for each mailing list - regardless of queued messages.  With nearly
> 20000 messages (anticipated) being distributed, calling 20000 majordomos
> into memory each day would kill even a Pentium Pro 200mhz system!
>
> How ever - Majordomo is clearly the advance leader in free mailing list
> software in it's remote administration features, digest features, and has
> much fewer bugs.
>
> I would be willing to make that trade off (SmartList over MajorDomo) if I
> could prove that SmartList handled system resources better that Majordomo.
>
> Any thoughts on this?

All I know is:

1) Every system I've used that had majordomo as the listserver has had to
chuck majordomo because eventually it ate every system resource in
sight.  One kept throwing memory in the box, and at one point majordomo
got so stoned it spewed out 200 copies of each post.

2) I tried using Smartlist on another system and gave up because of the
"people can't unsubscribe" bug that shows up on some systems.

The system I'm on now switched from majordomo to listproc, and appears to
be having problems with listproc, too.

Smartlist probably isn't helped by the fact that to the uninitiated,
procmail scripts look like line noise.

				Jason