Subject: Re: Pangaea
From: "Brad Knowles" <brad @ azathoth . ops . aol . com>
Date: Mon, 8 Apr 1996 12:38:23 -0400
To: Brent Chapman <Brent @ GreatCircle . COM>, Jered Floyd <jered @ mit . edu>, list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM

On Apr 8,  8:43am, Brent Chapman wrote:

> What they're talking about is basicly a Yahoo or Alta Vista for mailing
> lists.  They'll archive everything, and set it up for access via some
> pretty powerful search engines.  Presumably when people access the Pangaea
> site through the Web, to run their searches, they'll get little "banner"
> ads (just like on Yahoo) on each page of search results; very unobtrusive.

    In my discussions with Eric, I got the impression that it was more
like DejaNews, but with mailing lists included as well.  They're going
to be using some very interesting technology to make the searches much
useful and relevant to the people doing the searches (far beyond
simple keyword or boolean searches, or those combined with some sort
of ranking system).

    This is part of why they've already made it into the set of
additional references in the new version of the comp.mail.sendmail FAQ
-- I honestly believe that if anyone can make this kind of project
succeed, they can.

> I'm going to let them subscribe to all the lists here at GreatCircle.COM.

    All of the lists I manage are very small and not well-known, and
only one or two of them are fairly "private".  Assuming I eve show up
on their "radar" and they request to be added to my public lists, I'll
be glad to give them a subscription.

--
Brad Knowles                           MIME/PGP: BKnowles@aol.net
    Mail Systems Administrator        <http://www.his.com/~brad/>