Subject: Re: Majordomo vs. SmartList
From: Bryan Fullerton <bryanf @ samurai . com>
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 1996 16:53:30 -0400
To: List-Managers @ GreatCircle . COM

BearHeart / Bill Weinman <bearheart@bearnet.com> wrote:

>   SmartMail is very smart. It splits my list up into managable
>chunks and spawns multiple copies of sendmail to send it out. It
>does preprocessing on the addresses to make sure that sendmail isn't
>wasting its time. It handles bounces, and will even unsubscribe
>addresses that bounce more than n times.

Something I've wondered about - how hard would it be to make Majordomo chop
up a list and only feed 100 or some definable number of destination
addresses to each copy of sendmail?  One of the big problems with some
larger lists I host (2500+ subscribers) is the amount of time to send to all
subscribers - 25 simultaneous sendmail process with 100 destination
addresses each would be much better for my uses than 1 sendmail process with
2500 addresses.  Wouldn't think it'd be all that hard, would it?  Has
someone already experimented with this?  I'll play with it myself if no one has.

Bryan
--
bryanf@samurai.com
Owner