Subject: Re: Majordomo vs. SmartList
From: Bryan Fullerton <bryanf @ samurai . com>
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 1996 16:53:30 -0400
To: List-Managers @ GreatCircle . COM

BearHeart / Bill Weinman <> wrote:
>   SmartMail is very smart. It splits my list up into managable
>chunks and spawns multiple copies of sendmail to send it out. It
>does preprocessing on the addresses to make sure that sendmail isn't
>wasting its time. It handles bounces, and will even unsubscribe
>addresses that bounce more than n times.

Something I've wondered about - how hard would it be to make Majordomo chop
up a list and only feed 100 or some definable number of destination
addresses to each copy of sendmail?  One of the big problems with some
larger lists I host (2500+ subscribers) is the amount of time to send to all
subscribers - 25 simultaneous sendmail process with 100 destination
addresses each would be much better for my uses than 1 sendmail process with
2500 addresses.  Wouldn't think it'd be all that hard, would it?  Has
someone already experimented with this?  I'll play with it myself if no one has.

Samurai Consulting

Indexed By Date Previous: Re: Pangaea