Subject: Re: About the magazine spam
From: srb @ cuci . nl (Stephen R. van den Berg)
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 1996 15:44:19 +0200
To: List-Managers @ GreatCircle . COM

James Lick <> wrote:
>But this also brings up another point in that sendmail is very flexible at
>sorting and routing and making decisions in regards to the target address.
>However, it is very poor on making decisions on the source mail address or
>where it received the mail from.  If the message is addressed to a network
>address, it never gets down to a point where procmail could filter.  And

Well, it could, but it would take an extra route through a procmail filter
and then back into sendmail.

>if you don't know what the target is going to be, you can't put in
>specific rewrites to get it out to an alias.  To deal with this you need
>to modify the sendmail source to add stuff to checkcompat() and/or add in

No.  Not quite.  Actually, sendmail already *is* capable of discerning based
on sender addresses (and/or combined sender/recipient decisions).  It just
takes some rules (no sendmail source modifications required).
I'm currently working something out to that effect.
           Stephen R. van den Berg (AKA BuGless).

Be braver.  You cannot cross a chasm in two small jumps.

Indexed By Date Previous: info on list
Next: Re: Subscriber not here