Subject: Re: About the magazine spam
From: srb @ cuci . nl (Stephen R. van den Berg)
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 1996 15:44:19 +0200
To: List-Managers @ GreatCircle . COM

James Lick <jlick@shoreside.com> wrote:
>But this also brings up another point in that sendmail is very flexible at
>sorting and routing and making decisions in regards to the target address.
>However, it is very poor on making decisions on the source mail address or
>where it received the mail from.  If the message is addressed to a network
>address, it never gets down to a point where procmail could filter.  And

Well, it could, but it would take an extra route through a procmail filter
and then back into sendmail.

>if you don't know what the target is going to be, you can't put in
>specific rewrites to get it out to an alias.  To deal with this you need
>to modify the sendmail source to add stuff to checkcompat() and/or add in

No.  Not quite.  Actually, sendmail already *is* capable of discerning based
on sender addresses (and/or combined sender/recipient decisions).  It just
takes some sendmail.cf rules (no sendmail source modifications required).
I'm currently working something out to that effect.
--
Sincerely,                                                          srb@cuci.nl
           Stephen R. van den Berg (AKA BuGless).

Be braver.  You cannot cross a chasm in two small jumps.