Subject: Re: About the magazine spam
From: "Brad Knowles" <brad @ azathoth . ops . aol . com>
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 1996 21:06:07 -0400
To: Sheryl Coppenger <sheryl @ seas . gwu . edu>
Cc: list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM

On Apr 12,  2:56pm, Sheryl Coppenger wrote:

> Great.  It's not something I need right now, but I look forward to seeing
> it.  As I said in the first email, I'm not by training or inclination an
> email person.  I'm filling in for a person who took another job (who we
> haven't been able to replace yet).  Unfortunately the work I already was
> doing did not go away when I took over his tasks.  I have the Nutshell
> Sendmail book and though I've spent some time with it, it's going to
> take me quite a while to deal with the learning curve and to be able to
> deal with an 800-page book (plus the RFC and sendmail docs, let alone the
> code).

    This kind of stuff is greatly enhanced in the upcoming edition.

> Thanks for the pointer to checkcompat().  I was able to look it up in
> the Nutshell book.  That's exactly the kind of specific info I've been
> looking for for a couple of months.  Instead I've generally been getting
> vague "you can do anything in sendmail" responses and then nothing when
> I ask for details.  Or I get a flat "you can't get there from here".

    There are some people putting together real-world examples of how
they use checkcompat() robustly, and as soon as I get anything from
them in a usable format, I'll include it in the FAQ.

> My sendmail debugging skills are pretty minimal at this point.  Since
> it doesn't look like we're going to be filling the empty position any
> time soon I have the feeling I will be developing them when the semester
> ends in a few weeks and I'm no longer trying to do 12 hours a week of
> classes in addition to the full-time job.  I had already decided I was
> probably going to have to install the latest sendmail on my workstation
> this summer and just bang on it until I have some confidence in how it
> works.  That still looks like the plan, I'll just have to add a
> checkcompat routine to my TO DO list for when I do it.

    I haven't done any source-level hacking on sendmail yet, but just
getting the package and pounding on it until you understand how to
make it do what you want is definitely the way to go.  It's still a
pretty black art so far, although with books like _sendmail_, it is
getting better documented.

> Thanks again for the pointer.

    You're welcome!

--