Subject: Re: Pangaea
From: Brent @ GreatCircle . COM (Brent Chapman)
Date: Tue, 9 Apr 1996 09:08:20 -0800
To: Eric Thomas <ERIC @ VM . SE . LSOFT . COM>, list-managers @ greatcircle . com

At 7:26 PM 4/8/96, Eric Thomas wrote:
>For what  little it might  be worth,  as a matter  of policy I  refuse to
>allow such  services to  subscribe to  my lists  when the  stated default
>action  is  that  they  will subscribe  automatically  unless  they  hear
>otherwise from me. The rationale is that they're asking me a favour, from
>which they will collect  $$$ (and I don't care if it's  for profit or non
>profit, the fact of  the matter is that this $$$ will be  used to pay the
>requestor's paycheck).  The least  they could  do (and  I don't  know the
>specifics of this particular service, since I haven't been contacted yet)
>is not to force me to individually reply to 150 solicitations for each of
>the ~150 lists I am in charge of,  and put REJECT as the first line of my
>message  (or whatever  the case  might  be) if  I  do not  want my  lists
>included. As a matter of policy, I  interpret this as an attempt to bully
>me into  acceptance to maximize  the $$$ transfer,  and I filter  out the
>requestor's domain so that they cannot  subscribe to any of the lists. To
>put it simply, when people ask me  a favour I expect them to minimize the
>amount  of work  that it  will take  me to  EITHER accept  or reject  the
>favour, and I certainly resent any implication that if I am stupid enough
>to refuse  to help  them make  money, I'll  get what  I deserve  and it's
>perfectly ok if I have to spend an hour replying REJECT to 150 individual
>messages.

On the other hand, they could have simply subscribed to your lists without
bothering to ask first, and chances are you'd never have noticed.  At least
they had the courtesy to ask.

And look at this from another point of view: I intend to allow them to
subscribe to my lists.  If they changed their default, then I'd have to
manually process all their subscriptions, or send back a message saying
"Yes, it's OK for you to subscribe."

The question is, which is more common: list owners that are going to say
yes, or list owners that are going to say no?  I think the former; if
that's true, then they chose the right default: the one that causes extra
work for the smallest number of people.

-Brent

Brent Chapman         | Great Circle Associates    | 1057 West Dana Street
Brent@GreatCircle.COM | http://www.greatcircle.com | Mountain View, CA 94041
                   Internet Tutorials from the Experts!

Indexed By Date Previous: Re: Subscriber not here