Subject: Re: About the magazine spam
From: Sheryl Coppenger <sheryl @ seas . gwu . edu>
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 1996 12:39:04 -0400 (EDT)
To: list-managers @ greatcircle . com

> In article <9604121254.ZM10446@azathoth.ops.aol.com>,
> Brad Knowles <BKnowles@aol.net> wrote:
> > On Apr 11,  4:22pm, Sheryl Coppenger wrote:
> >
> > > [Another domain used her system(s) as an MX without permission]
> >
> >     Take any mail that comes into your site for a domain like that and
> > bounce it.  They'll quickly figure out that they really don't want to
> > use you as an unadvertised backup MX.
>
> Gee Brad, you're a much nicer guy than I am! Me, I'd accept the mail and
> silently discard it :^)

Of course, everybody who suddenly gets bounces also is going to send
email to postmaster@gwu.edu to ask what's going on because
postmaster@bozo.org bounces too and they see our name in the header. :-(
Basically a no-win situation.

I considered dumping their email in the floor but ultimately wound up
delivering it.

--

Sheryl Coppenger    SEAS Computing Facility Staff        sheryl@seas.gwu.edu
                    The George Washington University     (202) 994-6853

Indexed By Date Previous: Re: Subscriber not here