Subject: Re: Comments Wanted on Policy Decisions
From: "Alan Millar" <amillar @ bolis . com>
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 1996 23:23:31 -800
To: "Matthew N. Kleiman" <mkleiman @ interaccess . com>, List-Managers @ greatcircle . com
Comments: Authenticated sender is <amillar@bolis.com>

On 15 Apr 96 at 19:09, Matthew N. Kleiman wrote:
> Recently, two subscribers were feuding ("my dog can beat up your dog," or

>         Needless to say, the list goes nuts and everyone wants me
> to take some action.

> into submission.  I do not have (nor do I have the ability to acquire)
> evidence either way.  After a strong private lashing from me, both parties
> agree to bury the hatchet.  However, many subscribers are still looking
> to me to take action against one or both.

I had something similar occur recently.  The allegations from one
person (whom I had previously considered mostly harmless) were so
bizarre I at first thought they were forged.  But I checked and he
really said them :-(   The other party was fairly offensive also, and
then said that I (as list owner) should be responsible for the first
person's actions.  (It is *not* a moderated list.)

> If something like this happened on your list, would you take action
> against either party (i.e., suspend posting privileges or ban from
> list)?
>
> If so, for a period of time or permanently?  If not, why not?

I revoked posting privilege until I got a response from both sides
that they were dropping it, and I felt that it had sufficiently blown
over.  Ended up being only a few days.

> Does the fact that most of this fight occured (mostly) off-list influence
> your decision?

Not really.  Once they drag it on to the list, they've made it the
list owner's problem.  There they are subject to the list rules.

In my case, one party somehow expected me to have some influence over
the other party's private e-mail.  I told them they could take it up
with the other party's ISP.  (I also told them to get a
grip|life|clue...)

> Would you report your findings and/or your decision to the list?

Because I received complaints from other list members, including
valued contributors who considered leaving the list, I did tell the
list that I was dealing with it.  I did not give specific details.

> N.B.  I have already made a decision on these questions, but have some
> second thoughts.  I will report what I did and what happened if there is
> any interest.

Sure, let's hear it  :-)

Side note: The one thing that really bugged me in my situation was
the second party acusing me of being responsible for the first
party's diatribe.  I gave them the "you're a guest in my house"
analogy and the "I bust my butt running this system so you can whine
at me for free" story.  I'm curious as to how other list managers
have dealt with this situation.  Thanks!

- Alan
----
Alan Millar              amillar@bolis.com
System Administrator     http://www.bolis.com
* bolis.sf-bay.org is now bolis.com *
I believe the word you're looking for is AAAAAAGHHHHHH!!!!  -Batman Returns

Follow-Ups:
Indexed By Date Previous: Re: Pangaea