Subject: Re: Comments Wanted on Policy Decisions
From: PMDAtropos @ aol . com
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 1996 14:16:19 -0400
To: mkleiman @ interaccess . com, List-Managers @ greatcircle . com

In a message dated 96-04-16 11:49:11 EDT, mkleiman@interaccess.com (Matthew
N. Kleiman) writes:

> If something like this happened on your list, would you take action
> against either party (i.e., suspend posting privileges or ban from
> list)?

I had a similar situation occur on one of my lists, where the supervisor of
one of my subscribers silently signed on under an assumed name, watched her
underling for several months and then, at the time of her review, produced
the accumulated logs as justification for a terrible review. This was a clear
misuse of the list (as outlined by the Fair Usage Policy) and I went
ballistic -- to the point of contacting the supervisor's supervisor with a
copy of the fair usage policy and a demand that the entire contents of the
lifted messages be immediately and permanently purged from the worker's
records. I further banned the supervisor from the list, and have set
permanent filters for their address.

> If so, for a period of time or permanently?  If not, why not?

In my case, it was permanent. In this case, some duration of time should
suffice but a permanent restriction is probably not necessary.

> Does the fact that most of this fight occured (mostly) off-list influence
> your decision?

No.

> Would you report your findings and/or your decision to the list?

If it was made an issue, yes.

--David O'Donnell
  Owner, Belief-L, GLB-Press, GLB-News, GLB-Discuss, et-L

Indexed By Date Previous: Re: Comments Wanted on Policy Decisions