Subject: Re: A harbinger of bad times ahead (spam)
From: Eric Thomas <ERIC @ VM . SE . LSOFT . COM>
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 1996 08:16:27 +0200
To: list-managers @ greatcircle . com

On Wed, 17 Apr 96 09:04:42 PDT Rick Vandenberg <rick@vansys.com> said:

>I just  received the latest spam  that hit the ETHCSE-L  list (which, by
>the way, seems to make a mockery of Listserv's anti-spam measures).

This server runs version 1.8a, which does NOT have the spam filter.

>The doorknob that  sent this apparently has some program  that will make
>sending junk mail to everyone as  easy boiling water. Just what we need;
>junk mail  by the score, sent  directly. It's bad enough  sent to lists,
>but we have a  chance to catch it then. When the  spammers run their own
>lists, then we're all in trouble.

Hopefully this will prompt the ISPs  to disable telnet from user accounts
to port 25 of remote systems, which  they should have been doing from day
one.

  Eric

Follow-Ups:
Indexed By Date Previous: Re: b) NEW Bulk Email Program WOW's The INTERNET!! FREE OFFER