From: Paul Haas <paulh @ hamjudo . com>
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 1996 23:36:08 -0400 (EDTO)
To: list-managers @ greatcircle . com

I'm on the board of directors of a small not-for-profit organization.  The
by-laws require that the board of directors approve contracts and some
types of expenditures.  This meant that once a month or so I went to an
intensely boring meeting.

Now that all of the directors have e-mail, we're experimenting with using
a mailing list to replace some meetings. A document of suggested
guidelines could save us quite a bit hassle later on.

Has anyone else run an organization effectively via an e-mail list?  Do
you have a set of guidelines for handling votes and discussions?

E-mail now lets us micro-manage to new levels of inefficiency.  In the
physical meetings, we have a written agenda to keep the meetings moving
forward, we need the e-mail equivalent.  Are there other techniques to
keep the forum productive?  4 out of 7 of the directors went online
with-in the last 3 months.  A couple of them do not yet have full internet
access, so we are limited to email for now.

Any advice is welcome,
Paul Haas paulh@hamjudo.com

Follow-Ups:
Indexed By Date Previous: Re: "Effective Online Marketing" *snort*