Subject: A heads-up on a potential spammer
From: Chris Siebenmann <cks @ hawkwind . utcs . toronto . edu>
Date: Sat, 27 Apr 1996 19:58:58 -0400
To: list-managers @ greatcircle . com

 I have just received a series of three subscription requests, in
alphabetical order, for my three mailing lists here. Although this
claims to be from the domain (a domain, by the way, that doesn't
have a working 'postmaster' account/alias/etc), it appears to have been
generated on The X-Mail-Agent is also disturbing.

 In my uncharitable mood, I suspect that this is a spammer using some
sort of automated tool to subscribe to mailing lists before spamming, in
order to beat subscribers-only filters. If you see this person trying to
subscribe to your mailing list(s), you might want to chime in and/or keep
an eye on them.

	- cks
Sample subscription message:
[information logged by my SMTP listener:]
rcvdfrom ([])
with SMTP
from <>
to <>