Subject: A heads-up on a potential spammer
From: Chris Siebenmann <cks @ hawkwind . utcs . toronto . edu>
Date: Sat, 27 Apr 1996 19:58:58 -0400
To: list-managers @ greatcircle . com

 I have just received a series of three subscription requests, in
alphabetical order, for my three mailing lists here. Although this
claims to be from the domain tnc.com (a domain, by the way, that doesn't
have a working 'postmaster' account/alias/etc), it appears to have been
generated on pluto.cs.uah.edu. The X-Mail-Agent is also disturbing.

 In my uncharitable mood, I suspect that this is a spammer using some
sort of automated tool to subscribe to mailing lists before spamming, in
order to beat subscribers-only filters. If you see this person trying to
subscribe to your mailing list(s), you might want to chime in and/or keep
an eye on them.

	- cks
Sample subscription message:
[information logged by my SMTP listener:]
rcvdfrom pluto.cs.uah.edu ([146.229.2.78])
with SMTP
from <22ndcm@tnc.com>
to <sam-fans-request@hawkwind.utcs.toronto.edu>
[the message itself:]