Subject: Re[2]: A heads-up on a potential spammer
From: brian @ ilinx . ilinx . com (Brian J. Murrell)
Date: Sat, 27 Apr 1996 19:52:39 -0700 (PDT)
To: bh @ stargame . org
Cc: list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM

from the quill of Brian Hartsfield <bh@stargame.org> on scroll
<Pine.LNX.3.93.960427195125.3723A-100000@stargame.org>
> This would be a useful feature.  There are times when I don't want to go
> completely to moderation or use the approved poster option because I want
> to allow everybody to be able to post except for one or two "troublesome"
> users.  I would like to be able to say users x and y cannot post, but
> everytbody else can.

In another message I sent (whose thread I would like to end) just recently
I included a patch to majordomo's resend which allows one to create a list
of banned-to-post users.  I'm sure most mailing list software has options
to list users who can and cannot post.  This does work, but will not thwart
the smart spammers.  These checks are usually done using the From: header,
which is easily forgable.  All a spammer has to do is watch a list, and he
can find a From: header which will allow him to post to the most (short of
moderated) closed list.

What's needed is another mechanism.  I'm wondering about a password
required to post.  Much in the same way a moderator can use an Approved:
header with a secret in it (which gets stripped out before distribution) to
post to a moderated list, perhaps list members should have a secret to post
to a list.  Anyone caught "sharing" his secret to someone who posts get's
put into the "cannot-post" list (no reason he cannot still read if he
likes).  Any postings without the password get bounced to the moderator.  I
guess you could call this a "semi-moderated" list.

Is that too much for the average user to handle??

Thots?
b.

--
Brian J. Murrell                                               brian@ilinx.com