Subject: Re[2]: A heads-up on a potential spammer
From: brian @ ilinx . ilinx . com (Brian J. Murrell)
Date: Sat, 27 Apr 1996 19:45:04 -0700 (PDT)
To: bh @ stargame . org
Cc: list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM

from the quill of Brian Hartsfield <bh@stargame.org> on scroll
<Pine.LNX.3.93.960427195125.3723A-100000@stargame.org>
> This would be a useful feature.  There are times when I don't want to go
> completely to moderation or use the approved poster option because I want
> to allow everybody to be able to post except for one or two "troublesome"
> users.  I would like to be able to say users x and y cannot post, but
> everybody else can.

I realize that I'm really pushing the the evelope posting this here, as the
bulk of this is majordomo related, however the discussion which sparked the
work I did started here, and I would like to finish the majordomo part of
the discussion with this message.  I suggest if anybody wants to follow up
on this patch and discussion, they do so with me privately and cross-post
to the majordomo list (which I'm not on) if they feel it would be useful to
majordomo users.

I've been experimenting.  It seems that one can use the "restrict_post"
option to make lists of people who can post.  Just make a "posting allowed
list" by creating a file called <list>.members in which you put a list of
addresses from which you allow posts.  Then in the <list>.config file's
"restrict_post" attribute, include <list>.members BUT NOT <list>.  This
will allow <list> members to get postings but only <list>.members members
to send postings.  Add names to <list>.members as you deem them worthy.
:-)

Making a list of "banned posters" requires changes to majordomo.  I've
included a patch to resend to allow this to be done.  Simply create a file
called <list>.banned in the lists subdirectory and list the addresses which
should be denied posting privilege.  The messages posted from this user
will bounce to the owner.  The patch also contains a fix to make the
message that bounces to the owner contain the original message as a MIME
"message/RFC822" encapsulation instead of just in-line as it does
"out-of-the-box"..

*** resend.dist	Sun Feb 11 11:27:56 1996
--- resend	Sat Apr 27 19:33:36 1996
***************
*** 341,346 ****
--- 341,365 ----

      if ( $infile == 0 ) {
          &bounce ("Non-member submission from [$from]");
+     } else {
+ 	$infile=0;
+ 	# check for posting bannishment (if <list>.banned exists)
+ 	$file="$listdir/$opt_l.banned";
+         if (-e $file){
+             if ( open (LISTFD, "<${file}") != 0 ){
+ 	        @output = grep (&addr_match($from, $_), <LISTFD>);
+                 close (LISTFD);
+
+                 if ( $#output != -1 ) {
+                     $infile = 1;
+                 }
+             } else {
+ 	        die("resend:a Can't open $file: $!");
+ 	    }
+             if ( $infile == 1 ) {
+                 &bounce ("Submission from banned poster [$from]");
+ 	    }
+ 	}
      }
  }