Subject: "Interesting Free Offer" SPAM
From: "Fred H. Olson" <fholson @ maroon . tc . umn . edu>
Date: Sun, 28 Apr 96 11:48:09 CST
To: List-Managers @ GreatCircle . COM

Is anyone pursuing legal action for those responsible for the
"Interesting Free Offer" or "Magazine Club Inquiry Center "
 spams ** ?   They come along every few
days and they seem to have devized a pyramid scheme like approach
so third parties actually send the spams.  Or maybe the third partiy
references are forgeries. But the Fax number and the
PO box would seem to be the way to track down them.

I'd support some real action.  Does anyone know how good a case
could be made against them?  Seeveral have come had aol
From: headers lately.  I dont know if those are real and whether
aol users are realy involved.  If so maybe they could publicize
an adonition against doing this.

BTW I have them (so far) filtered out so they dont get posted to my
list but I hate to just delete/ignore such trash.  It's a bad
precident.

Fred

**
It has a bunch of verbage about responding by fax that includes:

 1-page fax to:
                              718-967-1550 in the USA

or via smail (first class mail or airmail) to:
                                         Magazine Club Inquiry Center
                                         Att. FREE Catalogue-by-email Dept.
                                         PO Box 990
                                         Staten Island NY  10312-0990

--
fholson@tc.umn.edu
Fred H. Olson (612)588-9532  Amateur radio: WB0YQM

--
ADDRESS CHANGE   ADDRESS CHANGE   ADDRESS CHANGE   1/25/96
Use this address: fholson@tc.umn.edu    NOT: fholson@uci.com
Twin Cities Neighborhood issues list. see http://freenet.msp.mn.us/
I protest the assault on the First Amendment by the Telecom bill

Indexed By Date Previous: Re: Commerical posts to Lists?