Subject: Bad subscriber: ivanm@tisc.com
From: "Eric J. Hansen" <eric @ worldmachine . com>
Date: Mon, 29 Apr 1996 14:04:55 -0400 (EDT)
To: list-managers @ greatcircle . com

Folks,

Just got another suspicious subscription to one of my lists:

	ivanm@tisc.com

"telnet tisc.com smtp", and running EXPN and VRFY yield "user unknown".
I can't remember if this is the same user/host that people had just reported
on this list, but I've gotten numerous MAGAZINE spams from KK recently, so I'm
on the lookout for any suspicous activity.

It would really blow if KK et al are now subscribing these fake addresses
*before* spamming.  I'm sure these losers are on THIS list too...  ugh.

BTW, I'm using SmartList with subscriber-only posting.  A nice (but tricky?)
enhancement would be to enforce a "probation period" whereby new subscribers
must wait X days before being put on the "accept" list.  This would work well
with the default 4 email-bouces that SmartList allows before auto-unsubscribing
an address.  Stephen? =)

-Eric
List Owner for Level 42 Digest, Go West Digest, Incognito Digest

--
Eric J. Hansen .............................. http://www.worldmachine.com/eric
Developer, Worldmachine Technologies ............ mailto:eric@worldmachine.com

Follow-Ups:
Indexed By Date Previous: Re: Re[2]: A heads-up on a potential spammer