Subject: Bad subscriber:
From: "Eric J. Hansen" <eric @ worldmachine . com>
Date: Mon, 29 Apr 1996 14:04:55 -0400 (EDT)
To: list-managers @ greatcircle . com

Just got another suspicious subscription to one of my lists:

"telnet smtp", and running EXPN and VRFY yield "user unknown".
I can't remember if this is the same user/host that people had just reported
on this list, but I've gotten numerous MAGAZINE spams from KK recently, so I'm
on the lookout for any suspicous activity.

It would really blow if KK et al are now subscribing these fake addresses
*before* spamming.  I'm sure these losers are on THIS list too...  ugh.

BTW, I'm using SmartList with subscriber-only posting.  A nice (but tricky?)
enhancement would be to enforce a "probation period" whereby new subscribers
must wait X days before being put on the "accept" list.  This would work well
with the default 4 email-bouces that SmartList allows before auto-unsubscribing
an address.  Stephen? =)

List Owner for Level 42 Digest, Go West Digest, Incognito Digest

Developer, Worldmachine Technologies ............

Indexed By Date Previous: Re: Re[2]: A heads-up on a potential spammer