Subject: Re: Be afraid - be VERY afraid
From: Alan Deikman <alan @ znyx . com>
Date: Mon, 29 Apr 96 16:48:05 -0700
To: list-managers @ greatcircle . com

Nauseated is more like it.

>>                                NEW BULK EMAIL PROGRAM!
>>
>>                                 (Lighting Bolt v1.0)
>>
>>                         MADE EASY FOR "ANYONE" TO LOAD & USE!

But this is not as fearsome as it might seem to begin with.  The
reason:

   1.  Many shell account ISPs will not let you run programs after
       logout.
   2.  Parties using this program will be VERY easy to identify,
       if for no other reason than the protocol traffic they
       generate.  It would be easy for any responsible ISP to
       write a program that would detect someone using a program
       like this if necessary.

Successful parasites are subtle -- this is not.  A disease that
causes such virulent effect on a host will evoke a cure more quickly
than one that is simply annoying.  Remember automated phone solicitation
systems?  They were outlawed so fast one would think even Congress
had a brain.

BTW, I called the 800 number as well.  Talk about obnoxious.  They
offer (if you order by Wednesday) 150,000 "starter" e-mail addresses
to get your Internet ad campaign going.

Oh, well.  One more SPAM filter to write.

Regards,

  Alan Deikman, ZNYX Corporation
  alan@znyx.com

Indexed By Date Previous: Re: Be afraid - be VERY afraid