Subject: Commerical posts to Lists?
From: "Lazlo Nibble" <lazlo @ swcp . com>
Date: Mon, 29 Apr 1996 22:18:40 -0600 (MDT)
To: list-managers @ greatcircle . com (lm)

> My question: Does the Netiquette against commercial intrusion need to stand
> as an absolute rule - provided that a post is not spam, is specifically of
> interest to a particular List, and only makes reference to an advertisement
> elsewhere on the Net?

The Netiquette in question is not "don't post commercial messages to mailing
lists" but rather "follow the policies of the lists you subscribe to".  There
are lists that allow people to post ads and lists that don't.  My list policy
is as follows:

  * The list is not meant to be used as an advertising forum, though short
    notices of the form "I have <this sort of thing> for sale; please email
    me for a full list" are acceptable as long as the items for sale are
    directly relevant to the topic of the mailing list.

My lists are closed to nonsubscribers, so none of that sort of thing gets
through unless I specifically approve it (which I do from time to time;
there's at least one retailer for whom I'll pass along relevant notices
of things he has for sale).

--
::: Lazlo (lazlo@swcp.com; http://www.swcp.com/lazlo)

Indexed By Date Previous: Re: Be afraid - be VERY afraid