Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(June 1996)

Subject: Users replying to owner-listname
From: Adam Horwitz <adam @ Tripcom . COM>
Date: Tue, 4 Jun 1996 13:07:02 -0500 (CDT)
To: list-managers @ greatcircle . com

I'm having a problem with some users replying to the "From" address of
"owner-listname" instead of the list posting address of "listname".  So
far as I know my headers (example provided below) are correct.  I think
some (all?) of the users having this problem are using Microsoft Mail,
which would appear to ignore the "reply-to" address.  Some of the list
users insist I "fix" Majordomo so the "From" address is "listname".

1. I think my headers are correct.  Are they?
2. I think MS Mail (or any other mail client that ignores "reply-to"
   is the problem) and should to be fixed.  Am I right?
3. So, if I'm right and they're wrong, I still need to deal with the
   problem... what have other listmanagers done?  Should I change the
   "From" address to apease the MS Mail users?  Can't this cause a
   potential mail bouncing problem?
4. Should I dump my very stable and solid Majordomo in favor of
   a different program?

Many thanks in advance!