Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(August 1996)

Subject: Re: Reply from Compuserve
From: Brock Rozen <brozen @ netvoyage . net>
Date: Wed, 7 Aug 1996 09:36:40 -0700 (PDT)
To: Eric Thomas <ERIC @ VM . SE . LSOFT . COM>
Cc: list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM

On Wed, 7 Aug 1996, Eric Thomas wrote:

> You're right, but what the users see  and care about is the time it takes
> them to get their copy of a message  posted to the list, ie the 8 seconds
> or whatever, as  opposed to the 664,000.  I moderate one of  the lists on
> the server in question  (I'm in Sweden, the server is in  the US), and it
> usually takes 5-10  seconds between the time  I press the SEND  key on my
> approval request and the time my copy  of the posting is in my mailbox. I
> get this  copy because I'm subscribed  to the list and  the message isn't
> from me, it isn't something that is sent separately before the mailing is
> processed. The list has about 400 recipients, and the server delivers 500

Your list is relatively small. I have a list with over 7500 subscribers
and delivery time can be hours.

Depending on your particular setup, your host might process the mail
before sending it. Thus, it could take my system hours to process all of
those subscribers THEN send it. I'm not sure exactly how it does it --
will have to check.

Regardless, since I'm relatively in the middle of my OWN subscription
lists, it can take me hours to receive my own messages. Those on the end
of the list probably receive it close to a day later...and I send things
that need to be delivered on a timely basis.

I know part of the delay is in the software and how majordomo currently
processes messages. One person whom I collaborate with has created
software that GREATLY increases the delivery times -- so software itself
is a major bottleneck. Bandwidth would be also, at least with 7500
subscribers.

 | Brock Rozen | brozen@netvoyage.net | http://www.netvoyage.net/~brozen |