Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(August 1996)

Subject: Re: Reply from Compuserve
From: Eric Thomas <ERIC @ VM . SE . LSOFT . COM>
Date: Wed, 7 Aug 1996 15:29:12 +0200
To: list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM

On   Tue,   6   Aug   1996    22:35:00   +0200   Kjetil   Torgrim   Homme
<kjetilho@ifi.uio.no> said:

>It still makes sense when one of the correspondents are on the digest.

Well, that's  your opinion. Personally, when  I subscribe to a  digest, I
only want  to get mail  from that list  once a day.  I don't want  to get
every single  reply to my  post, which as you  know after 2-3  days means
people are talking about something completely different and STILL sending
me a copy because they're too lazy  or too incompetent or don't care. The
IETF list is  an excellent example, every time I  post something it takes
about  2 weeks  before I  stop  getting private  replies about  something
totally different.

>A good  portion of  the mailing  lists out there  are based  on Sendmail
>aliases,  and  I don't  think  that  will  change  much. Speaking  as  a
>postmaster, I  don't care if  the lists I host  take an hour  until they
>reach the  last recipient, and I  won't install special software  to fix
>it.

That's your prerogative.  However, I can guarantee that  users will think
otherwise.  There are  already a  number  of sites  where the  postmaster
generally agrees with you, but the  users felt otherwise, and they bought
their own machine (I  mean with a grant or their  department's money - it
is now  cheap enough  to be within  their reach). And  in some  cases the
postmaster changed his  mind very quickly and did exactly  the same a few
months  later, after  the other  departments  threatened to  do the  same
instead of paying the computer department for mail services.

  Eric

Follow-Ups:
Indexed By Date Previous: Re: Disabling "who" completely in Majordomo