Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(August 1996)

Subject: Re: Reply from Compuserve
From: Brad Knowles <brad @ his . com>
Date: Thu, 8 Aug 1996 00:22:18 -0400
To: Brock Rozen <brozen @ netvoyage . net>, Eric Thomas <ERIC @ VM . SE . LSOFT . COM>
Cc: list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM

At 12:36 PM -0400 8/7/96, Brock Rozen wrote:

>Your list is relatively small. I have a list with over 7500 subscribers
>and delivery time can be hours.

	This is partly due to your mailing list management software (and
whether it's intelligent regarding how it breaks messages into
multiple envelopes and sends each envelope separately), and partly a
function of the SMTP MTA you use.

>I know part of the delay is in the software and how majordomo currently
>processes messages. One person whom I collaborate with has created
>software that GREATLY increases the delivery times -- so software itself
>is a major bottleneck. Bandwidth would be also, at least with 7500
>subscribers.

	If this software is the part that breaks each outgoing message
into multiple parts (no more than fifty recipients per envelope, or
whatever the number is), then this is *very* important software for
your setup.  I recommend you get it and install it immediately, as
Majordomo runs much better with it than without it.

--
Brad Knowles,                                  MIME/PGP: brad@his.com
    comp.mail.sendmail FAQ Maintainer     <http://www.his.com/~brad/>