Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(August 1996)

From: "Michael C. Berch" <mcb @ postmodern . com>
Date: Fri, 09 Aug 1996 15:07:07 -0700
To: list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM

Alan Czarnek wrote:

> >Michael Berch said...........
> >
> >>If DejaNews or a list archive site is not theft, why would a book be?
>
> Well........
>
> Maybe DejaNews *IS* theft.  After all, they are using copyrighted
> material without the expressed permission of the authors (copyright
> owners,) aren't they?

Suppose I have a plain old netnews site, and I have lots and lots of
disks, so I don't need to expire articles, and I am a charitable person,
so I offer free accounts to whomever wants them, in order to read news.

Am I violating the copyrights of the authors of the news articles?

Assuming I am not, how does this materially differ from DejaNews?

I don't think DejaNews is a copyright infringement, any more than any
other netnews site is, because the copies are not made without the
consent of the copyright owner -- in fact, by the act of posting, the
author sets into motion the mechanism by which DejaNews's copy is made.

--
Michael C. Berch
mcb@postmodern.com