Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(August 1996)

Subject: Re: More on expired accounts
From: Stan Ryckman <stanr @ sunspot . tiac . net>
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 1996 14:29:42 -0400 (EDT)
To: list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM

Chris Cook wrote:

[snip]

> Increasingly people who graduate or move to another institution do have e-mail
> addresses to forward onto.  User education is always the problem, the same as
> trying to encourage folk to leave lists whilst they're away for an extended
> period or when they leave.  Agreed, it is a point I didn't touch on but now
> it's raised, what about the further complications.  Say for six months we
> maintain a forwarding address for someone.  Ideally in that time they would
> have resubscribed or left existing lists plus told all of their friends their
> new address.  But we all know they don't do that.

There is a way to "encourage" that.  One problem is that by default
many mail readers don't show that the forwarding occurred at all.

With UNIX systems, at least, get procmail and formail; then you could
forward the mail but with a sufficiently-annoying reminder to the user
(say, a screenful) prepended to the mail body.  This would remind him
to contact people and get them to change addresses, and would remind
him that the forwarding is temporary only.  It could also point out
that forwarding delays him getting his mail.

After your six months, there would be many fewer bounces when the
forwarding ceases.

Cheers,
Stan Ryckman (stanr@tiac.net)