Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(August 1996)

Subject: RE: PAML mail
From: fwaid @ sara . zia . com (Fred M. Waid)
Date: Fri, 30 Aug 1996 20:38:58 -0400
To: "'List-Managers @ GreatCircle . COM'" <List-Managers @ GreatCircle . COM>

We manage a number of lists with 1000's of messages per day.  Much of this present discussion appears to be centered around misunderstandings about how lists can be managed.

With any list server software you should be able to accomplish at least the following:

1.  Hide any mailing list from the list command
2.  Allow any user to set themselves to be concealed from review commands
3.  Make any list moderated
4.  Restrict who can post to a list
5.  Allow/disallow subscriptions to a list
6.  Allow/disallow specific commands such as get, digest, review, etc.

With these features you have the ability to control the type of access granted to any list you manage.  We even have some of our lists which are for kids and are managed by 10 to 13 year olds and they do it quite successfully and professionally.

Fred

>info available for someone to get to, don't be surprised if someone gets to
>it.  Complain about loads placed on machines from queries like this but don't
>complain about people doing something that you've allowed them to do.  You
>won't find anybody getting my subscriber lists because I don't make them
>available.
>
>Getting off soapbox and donning asbestos now...
>---
>Michael Sullivan                     sullivan@fa.disney.com

Why should you have to don asbestos? You're right. Complaining about members
fo the general public doing things which are allowed to be done shows lazy
or non-existant list management.

Dave Bigham

Indexed By Date Previous: Re: PAML mail