Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(December 1996)

Subject: Re: Re[4]: Lyris
From: Rich Kulawiec <rsk @ itw . com>
Date: Sun, 1 Dec 1996 19:32:52 -0500 (EST)
To: list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM

Dave Bigham writes:
>They are indeed buying something.  They are buying a license.
>
>I have some serious dificulty with the concept of paying more for the two
>versions of the same thing if the only difference is some internal limit on
>its functionality. There is precedent for this though.

My two cents worth (everybody dig in your pockets for loose change
and prepare to pay up!): I'm with Dave.  I won't buy products that
fit this pricing model, because that's my way of voting with my wallet.
And since I do consulting to various places, I always try to convince
them that they shouldn't either, which I suppose you could say is
my way of voting with *their* wallets...which are much, much larger.

Dave's also right about there being various precedents for this kind of
usage-based pricing; but I figure if enough of us refuse to play this
silly game that vendors (are you listening?) will eventually notice.
Either that or they can continue to lose potential revenue.

---Rsk