Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(December 1996)

Subject: Re: Re[4]: Lyris
From: Rich Kulawiec <rsk @ itw . com>
Date: Sun, 1 Dec 1996 19:32:52 -0500 (EST)
To: list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM

Dave Bigham writes:
>They are indeed buying something.  They are buying a license.
>I have some serious dificulty with the concept of paying more for the two
>versions of the same thing if the only difference is some internal limit on
>its functionality. There is precedent for this though.

My two cents worth (everybody dig in your pockets for loose change
and prepare to pay up!): I'm with Dave.  I won't buy products that
fit this pricing model, because that's my way of voting with my wallet.
And since I do consulting to various places, I always try to convince
them that they shouldn't either, which I suppose you could say is
my way of voting with *their* wallets...which are much, much larger.

Dave's also right about there being various precedents for this kind of
usage-based pricing; but I figure if enough of us refuse to play this
silly game that vendors (are you listening?) will eventually notice.
Either that or they can continue to lose potential revenue.

Indexed By Date Previous: Re: Re[6]: Lyris