Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(December 1996)

Subject: Re: aggregate delivery
From: "John Buckman" <jbuckman @ shelby . com>
Date: Sun, 1 Dec 1996 23:44:28 +7
To: meo @ schoneal . com (Miles O'Neal), list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM
Comments: Authenticated sender is <jbuckman@synergy>

> Or does it simply connect to mailhost.isp.com but use SMTP TO
> fields of webmaster@foo.com and webmaster@bar.com ?

Exactly.

BTW, we're in the research & test stage with MX-based aggregation,
it's not present in the current shipping version of Lyris.  The
current version uses traditional domain-based aggregation.

In order to do MX aggregation correctly, the mailer has to keep an
up-to-date database of MX hosts for each subscriber, which takes time
and disk space.  We have to implement some benchmarks to establish in
which cases it is worthwhile, and how much speed benefit the added
complexity actually yields.

So far, the biggest speed benefit is in having an in-memory DNS
cache of subscriber's MX records.

John

john@shelby.com, Shelby Group Ltd., http://www.shelby.com/

Indexed By Date Previous: Re: Re[6]: Lyris