Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(December 1996)

Subject: Re: FindMail.Com?
From: Kynn Bartlett <kynn @ idyllmtn . com>
Date: Fri, 13 Dec 1996 16:37:28 -0800 (PST)
To: hassan @ Vault . FindMail . COM (Scott Hassan)
Cc: kynn @ idyllmtn . com, list-managers @ greatcircle . com

Scott Hassan of FindMail Communications wrote:
> FindMail Communications is a small company designed to archive all
> *public* mailing lists for the Internet.  We will store all of the
> messages and then later allow for retrieval on a public or private
> basis.  Everyone will have 'free' access to the public archive.  This
> service will be available January 1, 1997.

A responsible company doing this would ask _before_ subscribing to
a list.  I therefore can only conclude that you're not a responsible
company, and you don't really give a damn about being a good "net
neighbor" and playing nicely with every one else.

I assume you're charging for "retrieval on a private basis"?  Why
not do like the rest of us, and make some money off work you do
YOURSELF, rather than charging people for the work _I_ put into my
lists and the messages my subscribers send to it, eh?  I'm not very
sympathetic to leeches, especially those who only ask nicely once
they've been caught with their hand in the cookie jar.

(Man, did I mix metaphors in that last sentence.)

> Any list owner wishing that their list not be archived.  Please just
> remove our subscription from your mailing list.  Also, please send a
> message to FindMail@FindMail.COM stating this fact so we don't attempt
> to automatically resubscribe later.  We will place your list on a
> 'blacklist' and remove all collected messages.  We will not touch
> those lists again.

I'm troubled about the idea of a "blacklist".  Is this going to be a
public thing?  In other words, will my lists now be "blacklisted" and
posted on your web site as "blacklisted mailing lists" because we
didn't want you to archive them without asking first?

> I'm sorry if we subscribed without your permission.  We will try to be
> more clear in the future about our intentions.

Frankly, if anyone deserves to be "blacklisted", it's FindMail
Communications, not my mailing list.

> Cheers,
> Scott Hassan
> FindMail Communications

Feh.

--Kynn Bartlett
  Postmaster for Idyll Mountain Internet
  Mailing List Manager for the HTML Writers Guild