Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(December 1996)

Subject: Re: stripping footers for archive
From: t . bowden @ qub . ac . uk (Tony Bowden)
Date: Thu, 19 Dec 96 15:45:32 EST
To: list-managers @ greatcircle . com

"Eric J. Hansen" <eric@worldmachine.com> writes:
>Basically, for digests (which I only offer), SmartList keeps the message
>header, body and footer separate until it actually sends it out.  I just
>hacked ".bin/flush_digest" script to only archive the header and body,
>*not* the footer.  Email me separately and I'll send you the 10 or so
>lines of patched code.

Surely that's the footer of the digest itself though, and not the
individual messages ... if I've misunderstood you then I'd love to see
the code, but I'm not sure that's what I'm looking for ..

>on Un*x like systems with the usual assortment of commands, you can just
>figure out how many lines your message is (i.e., "wc"), and then use
>"head" to only archive the top ( message_length - trailer_length )
>lines.  See your man pages for more info.  In Perl (i.e., for
>majordomo), this is also relatively easy.

Yeah, I could write a simple script (shell or perl) which does this, but
I don't know enough about procmail to actually make it into a procmail
recipe ...

Tony
 Tony Bowden  |     tony@tmtm.com / t.bowden@qub.ac.uk / http://www.tmtm.com/
 Belfast, NI  |                      you are a free moth - go chase the light