Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(December 1996)

Subject: Re: Our High-Wired Copyright Concerns
From: Eric Thomas <ERIC @ VM . SE . LSOFT . COM>
Date: Sat, 21 Dec 1996 04:51:30 +0100
To: Berg <berg @ eskimo . com>
Cc: list-managers @ greatcircle . com

On Fri, 20 Dec 1996 19:46:01 -0800 (PST) Berg <berg@eskimo.com> said:

>        Why? Because  most mailreaders have  the option to  display full
>mail headers, but most people disable  that feature. It is not the fault
>of  the listowner  that  people choose  not to  see  something they  are
>capable of seeing.

Surely you must  have laws in the US  about fine print on the  back of an
agreement, you  know, the ones in  light gray on a  dark gray background.
These laws are based  on the fact that if you go out  of your way to make
sure  someone doesn't  see a  warning, you  can't later  claim that  this
person should have seen the warning,  even though most people do have the
ability to read these warnings with a good light and possibly a magnifier
glass. The  same applies here. Thousands  of people could make  a genuine
mistake because YOU  went out of your  way to hide the  banner from them,
when the natural thing is to put the  copyright at or near the top of the
text itself,  like everyone else  does. If  you're lucky you'll  be found
negligent (ie technically incompetent). If  you're unlucky the court will
think you were trying to be deceitful. And that's assuming that there WAS
a  command to  display  these headers  and  they were  not  removed by  a
gateway.

This  being said,  you don't  need a  copyright banner  to exercise  your
rights.

  Eric

Follow-Ups:
Indexed By Date Previous: Re: Our High-Wired Copyright Concerns