Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(December 1996)

Subject: Re: Our High-Wired Copyright Concerns
From: "Michael C. Berch" <mcb @ postmodern . com>
Date: Fri, 20 Dec 1996 20:56:35 -0800
To: list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM

Eric Thomas wrote:

> On Fri, 20 Dec 1996 15:59:47 +7 John Buckman <jbuckman@shelby.com> said:
>
> >The advantages of a copyright in the header are that:
> >* most people's mailers won't display it, so it won't interfere with
> >  normal mail.
> >* It asserts your copyright notice, and would probably be worth
> >  something in court if you decided to recoup damages.
>
> These two claims are mutually exclusive. A copyright notice isn't worth
> anything if you take steps to ensure that most people are unable to see
> it.

Well, that would be the case if the notice were actually hidden.  It is
sufficient that it be there if you look for it (for example, chip
manufacturers embed microscopically tiny copyright notices on the chip
mask itself so that it is imprinted onto a circuit layer when the chip
is fabricated).

A better analogy might be the copyright page (title verso) of a book;
most people turn right past it, but along with the other formal
information there (ISBN, LCCN, CIP, etc) could be considered the
"header" of a book.

It is probably safer to add the copyright notice to the body of the
message, as a trailer, but it is probably sufficient to put it in a
header.

--
Michael C. Berch
mcb@postmodern.com