Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(December 1996)

Subject: Re: FindMail.Com?
From: James Cook <jcook @ netcom . com>
Date: Sun, 22 Dec 1996 19:44:56 -0800 (PST)
Cc: list-managers @ greatcircle . com

On Sun, 22 Dec 1996, Kynn Bartlett wrote:

> Brewster Kahle (sp?) of archive.org has suggested a header line that
> basically says "Do Not Archive This List."

I have a few questions...

This presents the issue in the context of the rights and relations
between list managers and those who operate archiving services.

There is reference to "public lists". Do private legal rights remain with
authors of their messages placed on such lists when there are express
limitations placed therein regarding archiving and redistribution?

What about the various copyright notices and license limitations
expressly placed onto individual pieces of Email which traffic through
various listservs? Does anyone think authors of their mail, especially those
placing explicit limitations in the body/header or their own messages,
have rights affected by the archiving process?  Does anyone think such
people feel that they have in some way authorised list managers to waive
or assign any legal rights they may have in such matter and notices?

I have located numerous posts via search engines on the Internet which
are texts which contain express limitations on redistribution and
archiving. These are texts in relation to which notices and complaints
were communicated by the authors of such texts to those ISP's and other
"carriers" that such perceived infringements were occuring, and that they
wanted it stopped.

It is recalls the case of Scientologists vs. Netcom Communications, Inc.

So.... what of these issues in the context of arbitrary mass archiving?

Thanks for your thoughts!

James Cook