Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(December 1996)

Subject: Re: FindMail.Com?
From: "David A. Burnet" <DavidB @ CoachCenter . com>
Date: Sun, 22 Dec 1996 23:18:54 -0500
To: Kynn Bartlett <kynn @ idyllmtn . com>, "Joshua D. Baer" <josh @ skyweyr . com>
Cc: list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM

Kynn,

I like and prefer this option, myself.  With one particular concern: that
those who are not inclined to politely ask need something like being told
not to archive a particular list.  Some, sadly, will probably go ahead,
anyway.
-David

At 04:32 PM 12/22/96 -0800, Kynn Bartlett wrote:
>Brewster Kahle (sp?) of archive.org has suggested a header line that
>basically says "Do Not Archive This List."
>
>I dislike the idea, because it seems to me that makes the default
>"Archive This List Unless The List Admin Has Heard Of Brewster's Header
>Line" -- in other words, the default is for the list to be archived
>unless you do something different.
>
>I firmly believe that legitimate archivers will ask _first_ before
>slurping up your stuff (what do they have to fear otherwise?).  Thus
>anything that makes the default "slurp first, ask later" is
>objectionable to me.

--David A. Burnet, DavidB@CoachCenter.com    http://www.CoachCenter.com
 **Helping People Learn to Achieve Their Dreams - Since 1984**
   -A Personal & Business Growth Coach for Everyone-    dburnet@well.com

Indexed By Date Previous: Re: Our High-Wired Copyright Concerns