Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(January 1997)

Subject: a tale of two archivers [was: findmail.com instructions]
From: Chip Rosenthal <chip @ unicom . com>
Date: Thu, 2 Jan 1997 21:53:11 -0600 (CST)
To: paulh @ imc . org (Paul Hoffman)
Cc: List-Managers @ GreatCircle . COM

Paul Hoffman writes:
> Please don't interpret anything I say as supporting what findmail is doing:
> I don't and IMC doesn't. Like any other vendor, they'll generate good or
> bad will based on their actions with their customers and suppliers. So far,
> the reviews are pretty mixed.

It's fascinating comparing the responses towards Findmail and
Reference.  Reference is taking a bit of heat right now for a mass
mailing they did, but I don't sense it's quite the battering that
Findmail is taking.

The two organizations take exact polar opposite approaches to the
archiving issue.  Findmail says, "If you don't say anything, we'll
take it from you." Reference says, "If you don't say anything, we
won't touch it."

My vote:  although the Reference mass-mailing raises some vexing
issues, I award the clue to Eric Allman and the folks at Reference.

--
Chip Rosenthal * Unicom Systems Development * <chip@unicom.com>
Helmet good.  Law bad.