Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(January 1997)

Subject: Re: Changing the DATE field - NEVER MIND!
From: Dave Crocker <dcrocker @ brandenburg . com>
Date: Fri, 10 Jan 1997 09:16:01 -0800
To: Stan Ryckman <stanr @ sunspot . tiac . net>
Cc: "'List-Managers @ GreatCircle . COM'" <List-Managers @ GreatCircle . COM>

At 8:38 AM -0800 1/10/97, Stan Ryckman wrote:
>No, because sorting by date received doesn't use any DATE fields in
>messages, only the date added by your MDA when storing the mail.

	sigh.  I completely forgot about a real and terrible behavior that
is common to a number of MTA's, especially sendmail.  Namely, they process
their queue in lifo order.  Yes, they REVERSE mail.  Hence, any MTAs
between the originator and the list could well do much damage and affixing
the date/time that the list receives it will do more damage than help.

	foo.

d/

Dave Crocker                                             +1 408 246 8253
Brandenburg Consulting                              fax: +1 408 249 6205
675 Spruce Dr.                                  dcrocker@brandenburg.com
Sunnyvale CA 94086 USA                        http://www.brandenburg.com

Internet Mail Consortium                http://www.imc.org, info@imc.org