Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(January 1997)

Subject: Re: Mail-Bounce Processing Software
From: Vicki Richman <vicric @ panix . com>
Date: Thu, 30 Jan 1997 17:22:13 -0500 (EST)
To: list-managers @ greatcircle . com

Vince Sabio has written:

> * A quick definition for people who are unfamiliar with the term:
>
>   "Beta Software" -- This software is probably even more dangerous than
>   the GOOD TIMES virus. <g> You assume all risks; the best I can offer is
>   apologies after the fact. (Oh, and a corrected version, too.) So far, I
>   haven't had to do that, but I make no guarantees.

To change the subject, I just got a spammy, exploder mailing
from a group that claims credit for the "good times"
hoax. They said they did it to expose the incompetence of
self-proclaimed Net experts. They claimed they succeeded,
holding that the idiotic warnings were the work of those
experts.

In particular, they singled out AOL staff for falling for
the hoax.

I don't know of anyone but naive users who believed it, even
for only a few hours.

Cheers,
Vicki