Subject: JUNO problems
From: Todd Day <today @ di . com>
Date: Sun, 9 Mar 1997 08:56:22 -0800
To: "List Manager's Digest (E-mail)" <list-managers-digest @ GreatCircle . COM>

>Why can't you simply configure your digest to a
>maximum of 55K or smaller?

My digest has been a once-a-day event for the last five years.  It is
heavily moderated by me.  I'm not going to change to a two-a-day digest
just because some el-cheapo ISP comes along and can't deal with the
volume...

I am not "punishing" or "snubbing" anyone by this policy.  That would
imply that I have some some deliberate thought-out rule that they are
breaking, and that I am going out of my way to prevent them from
receiving my digest.  I set up the digest as once-a-day because the
conversation on this particular digest just works better that way, and
it is the readership that has pushed the content over 61k/day.

Personally, I would say that Juno is "punishing" their users with such a
ridiculously low e-mail size.  That sort of thing might have been good
back in the 80s, but with all the "rich text" sources available today,
it seems mighty low...

>Castigating them for what is
>of little choice to them is contemptuous and haughty.  Hardly
>the spirit of sharing that the Internet was meant to be.

I put in an hour a day of my own time on my digest, paying back the
"spirit of the Internet".  If I recolllect properly, the "spirit of the
Internet" never involved making things more difficult for the people
providing services for free, just because you are too cheap or don't
have the resources to access the free material...  After all, there are
TONS of people without even an e-mail account!

I really hate all these Johnny-come-lately access providers that seem to
go out of their way to make things difficult for those of us who provide
things for free, and are not willing to fix their mistakes when we point
them out.

-todd-

Follow-Ups:
Indexed By Date Previous: Re: JUNO problems