Subject: Re: First Amendment Rights?
From: matt @ netmeg . net (Matt Magri)
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 97 19:46 EST
To: list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM

Valencia King Nelson <vknelson@webex.com> wrote:
> In the past 6 months I have had several disruptive/diagreeable
> people to complain  about being placed on the "ignored" list.
> The complaint  is that their right to free speech is being violasted
> followed up with a threat "to sue".

In your most profusely apologetic officialese tell them, "Oh, I'm
sorry, but now that a lawsuit has been proposed I'm no longer at
liberty to discuss this matter directly with you. If you'll have your
lawyer contact me I will be happy to put them in touch with my lawyers
so that this matter can be resolved." If you have a mailing address you
don't mind giving out, change the "have your lawyer contact me" to
"have your lawyer contact me in writing".

And that's that. Very apologetically don't let them continue to try to
discuss it with you... they've placed the matter out of your hands now.
As others have pointed out, you're not in any danger legally and, as
we've probably all seen before, talk about "suing" in this context is
schoolyard bullying. If you are concerned that it may be more than
that, keep a record of the abusive behavior. And if you are worried
that having it hosted at MsState.Edu could be used as a basis to force
you to keep disruptive people on the list, you may want to look around
a bit to see if there's somewhere else it could be hosted. That way
you could make the switch if it comes to that.

Matt

Follow-Ups:
Indexed By Date Previous: Re: First Amendment Rights?